Sunday, December 25, 2005

My Favourite Things

Quite funny how the moments that propell me faster and flightier to the pivot of madness are always my sanest moments. Sanity is way overrated, truly!
Anyhow... am sitting in a strange place, thinking strange..."un-kinky" thoughts, which just makes them plain, arcane nuisances. So yet AGAIN, out of sheer, catatonic lack of ANYTHING else to do... will try and compile a list of.....what- not- who- cares's.

....These are a few of my favorite things:


1. The pure acrid, carbonated bliss of an ice-cold bottle of coke. Mankind's greatest merit, since...hmm, mankinds greatest merit, period.

2. Bob Dylan's "Froggie went a courtin' " which I am almost positive is a naxal, zerox copy synopsis of my "never-impending", forever-fabled wedding day. Always giving me an sense of immense comfort as to how 'the chaos' wil intermittently unfold. A sychophant's deliberation.

3. Writing my diabolical reveries in already printed pages, and forcefully imparting the already "imparted" with my noisome rhetoric. I love seeing my pencil carvings next to printed pages. I have been known to give Achille's hell over the heel, still have to get down to having my looming "talk" with Tolkein, though that requires massive doses of meditative, preparation and cerebral faculties. The latter of which I formidably lack at the moment.

4. Rex Harrison's portrayal of Henry Higgins in "My fair Lady"- the most handsome, blatant, chauvinist, nocuous pig in celluloid. However since he's dead, I feel no threat in thunderously, unabashedly showcasing my thus unrequited love.

5. The creative genius, maelstrom calisthenics and eternal wit, that Bugs bunny and Daffy duck splash for the benefit of the ignorant. Cliche'd one-liners that define everything and nothing, and noone even notices (sob). Seriously 'Whats up Doc?'

6. The mercurially succint, taste of "Crest" toothpaste, post having thrashed my unsuspecting gums for atleast 6 minutes, when my mouth is frozen raw. However since "bloody" Crest now costs 200 Rs ( asshole corporate cows), I must make do with waning, distant memories of frothy bliss.

7. Zia Moheyuddin reading Faiz, the sibilant perfection of voice merged with the sublime perfection in poetry. Simply put "perfection".

8. The point where my grandparents timid, polite laughter, turns into obnoxiously loud gaffaw's and rants.

9. Days when the electricity conks out (NOT IN SUMMER) and I am FORCED to venture forth from my "fortress of solitude" and sit outside in the sun, with a book.

10. The ultimate cheesy, one-liners my mom churns out only for my benefit, because she knows they are not worth subjecting to public ridicule.

11. Taco Bell's burrito's and jumbo nacho's- my most 'potent' calling back to the US. Boo Ya!

12. My father's 'blue-moon' smile, when aimed in my direction.

13. Reading my friend Milt's 2 page long conversation/reverie/ advice columns from silicon screens that he has inexplicably transfigured, so they now appear much less hostile.

14. "Bouquet's of freshly sharpened pencils" and the first word they put to unsuspecting paper.

15. 'Kodak moments" captured with loud, zany, politically "in-correct" friends... sans camera.

16. The first ragamuffin on the street selling the first "narcissus" posies of the season (true they arent "technically" the first, but the first I see) which amounts to the same thing. Staying true to the spirit of Narcissus.

17. A galloping horse, loads of wind- no shoes, no saddle.

18. "The Little Mermaid"- Sebastian's "Ariel, the human world is a mess" diatribe.

19. The smell of Sunflower/vanilla face wash, although since even "Freeman's" crap has now gone up! Am making 'do" with regular Pears bar soap. The lament of a bourgeois beauty, trying without evident success to maintain the latter.

20. Daily 'serendipities' encountered navigating Lahori traffic, flicking through random channels and browsing my way through cyberspace nebula's. Even though I actively nurture my apathy towards technology, I cannot help but be thankful for the internet. It is the only 'society' open to the sociopath.

21. Peter pan- the ultimate "Pan-ness" of Peter's pantomime and his ephemeral shadow.

22. Wooly scraves, hats and poncho's that my poor grandmother spends hours and hours perfecting, just to "score points" with me.

23. My "well preserved" magic wand- which "WILL" shoot sparks to confirm my confounded faith in all things "fairy tale".......any minute now.

24. The elusive sensation of still being lost in "book-lands" that lingers on for atleast three hours after I close the bind, regardless of how many times I read Harry Potter.

25. The elusive yet fascile wonder of writing myself little notes and pledges that forever aim to propel me in a thrust of forward motion, notes that I write, tape up to my wall and then lie down to stare at.

26. A bunch of technicolour baloons and ice-lollies in winter rain. Nothing beats a brain freeze, when the brain is already in the process.

27. The initial rush experienced when boarding a plane to destination unknowns... the rush passes, when they do not provide the adventure you may hope for. But its minute presence lingers for 'time agains'.

28. The perrenial grace and magnificence of Yul Brynner utterring the words "1-2-3 And"... for who can say no to such a 'Shall we dance?'. Not I. Never I.

29. Open seas and open skies, a wonder unsurpassed and often unnoticed.

30. The faint and fading, yet corporeously present knowledge in my bones...that there is still hope.

Hmmm, boredom and sheer doleful meanderings have elapsed.
...Your welcome!

5 comments:

  1. So finally .... you get around to tackling Bugs. Bravo!

    So you prefer Tom Hank's faceless-corporate-bigwig-secretly-online-paramour to Rex's overbearingness? (I'm a sucker for Meg Ryan myself)

    A long Christmas toast to your 'un-kinky' thoughts. May more of them meander their way out of your fortress of solitude.

    P.S. with the price of Crest going up, you might want to lay off the coke. Fortress-of-solitude or not, even Super Girl is no match for carbonic acid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. zoetic huh?
    sure you're not still in a TV daze - as in Zoe the TV serial - zoetic, something zoelike
    or with Joe from Friends pronounced with a lisp
    eees sooooohh zoetic

    that gives me my (non)word of the day
    tveezer - some poor pathetic soul continually trying to drag meaning out of meaningless TV serials as a cure for her(seem I'm not gender biased) life
    (Present distinguished company excluded of course :) )

    and dragging it unnecessarily further...
    tveezerina - a tveezer who does it really well (or is distantly related to the Romanoffs

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm for today a couple of non-words:

    bousled - like tousled, but instead what bald guys(girls?) do when they toss their wavy non-locks around

    borticulate - someone very skilled at boring people to death (I have a slight suspicion this world has not only already been coined, its been used about me somewhere)

    how kind of you to offer this footsoldier of a wordsmith some footnotes. methinks if i hadn't put in 'tveezerina' you might have even offered me a chapter or two.
    As for the indo-pak collaboration deal, if such a dictionary does come out, it would probably be what the british would call 'divide and be really really sorry for it'. Serves em eight too. On with the marauding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AGREED!!!!
    monkey and malang it is
    but let me ask one woggish question
    what does malang mean? unlucky?

    my noword for today -
    nusepaper - a newspaper bought primarily to serve as wrapping or packing rather than reading material

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm i'm behind with my words aren't I?
    here goes -

    moosenger - an IM used to send more inane than sensible messages

    closeted - the feeling of being alone in a crowd (need to work on that one)

    illustriary - a reverse dictionary that takes you from the meanings to the words instead of vice versa

    unbriefcase - a briefcase containing a LOT of long boring documents

    HNY malang, that is if this is the gypsy new year as well :)

    ReplyDelete