Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tea trauma

It is an odd sense of displacement, being a journalist and not being addicted to tea.

Let alone not liking tea. But I now worry that my inherent debilitation in avoiding 'chai' and having replaced it with that 'other' foreign cultural export 'coke' may pose overarching consequences for my personal life (sic).

You see, I can cook. Well even, when I want to. I can clean and mend things. But I am inherently incapable of making a decent cup of tea. The reason being that since I don’t drink tea and don't like it, I have no idea what a decent cup of it tastes like. I don't know what makes tea too strong, weak or milky or simultaneously what makes it ‘karrara’ ‘hitchi’ or ‘pisti’. This, according to my grandmother, means that I will probably never get married.

Then again, I'm sure there are other reasons for that failing.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize. Apparently doctors and journalists are supposed to thrive on tea. But I give a cuppa the miss whenever I can,obviously preferring a bottle of Coke instead.
    The funny thing is, I can make two cups of tea, but I've never quite mastered the art of halving the ingredients just right to get a single cup.
    I am referring of course to the "pwopah" cup of tea, not the teabags-and-powdered-milk abomination, which I can shamefully claim to being an expert at, having drank cupfulls every night during my Med-school finals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:47 pm

    England has turned me into a tea-bag cuppa, can't make the 'real' stuff anymore! Love the fruit and peppermint infusions though I can't think of them as tea, really.
    Your grandmother has a killer sense of humour :)

    ReplyDelete