Thursday, May 06, 2010

Oh-my-GOD

“Do you believe in God Andre? No, neither do I, but that’s a favourite question of mine. An upside down question, you know. 
What do you mean? 
Well, if I asked people whether they believe in life, they’d never know what I meant. It’s a bad question… it can mean so much that it really means nothing. So I ask them if they believe in God and if they say they do – then I know that they don’t believe in life.
Why?
Because, you see, God- whatever one chooses to call God, is one’s highest conception of the highest possible. And whoever places his highest conception above his own possibility thinks very little of himself and his life. It’s a rare gift you know, to feel reverence for your own life and to want the best, the greatest, the highest possible: here now, for your very own.” – Ayn Rand

I find it disconcerting how often complete strangers or mild acquaintances will pester you about your views on ‘god’ once they discover you to be a non-believer. Ironically, the trend seems to be the reverse on challenging believers regarding their feelings about their God (then again most believers hardly require an invite to broach the subject.) Perhaps, that is why the brazen-ness of believers irks me so.

I find myself repeatedly being asked to ‘define’ my disbelief and I grow tired of the exercise of elaborating upon how I am not an atheist ‘as per I don’t believe anything’ but I am an a-theist ‘as per I do not believe in an anthropomorphic god or in religion’. This is usually met with a raised brow and ‘surely, agnostic then?’ to which I must sigh and say ‘no, ignostic if anything’. It is generally around this precarious juncture that my opponent smiles a derogatory ‘oh so you’re not clear and are deflecting’ smile and I am forced to dismiss the subject on grounds that raising the point ‘I don’t think one can be clear on anything pertaining to the numinous, I’m very clear about that’ doesn’t usually bode well in dogmatic duels.

The fact that people so easily accept absurdities that drive their lives and thought has always made me uncomfortable. We, as a species, generally tend to question and nitpick everything in our lives to the nth degree and yet I often find myself surrounded by people who can spend hours deliberating the merits or demerits of an outfit or video game but come to the subject of religion (not even belief, just the pure semantics) and suddenly everything flies, including flying ponies in seventh heavens! I do not question the efficiency of this model, however. The idea, that there is this cosmic space - where all this ‘stuff’ that you don’t know or understand or can conceive of - rests and congeals into one great, big, omnipotent GOD is awfully convenient. It allows a person to move on with their hour, their day, their year, their life. It affords us the chance to look at the sky and not wonder about how many galaxies there are; whether the craters on the moon have changed shape or whether we will eventually be eclipsed by the theoretical lip of Hawking’s black hole to witness ourselves in all tenses of time. It allows us to merely muse ‘oh the sky is so pretty today (insert a synonymous Inshallah, Mashallah, Alhamdullilah)’ and sigh. Religion takes this God fellow a step further, it markets Him and it has done so from time immemorial by stripping his subjects of their freedom to think.

The truth is, I find GOD fascinating (who wouldn’t find ‘all that is unexplained’ fascinating) and I always figured His space to be the pinnacle for inspiring quests and glorious metaphysical journeys into and outside of the soul. I thought the answers were so many and so diverse that one could spend ten lifetimes in search and not be any closer to the one-colossal answer (one I don’t believe exists) but have acquired so many ‘perspectives’ along the way that those lifetimes would have had ‘meaning’. That I would have stood in line with Descartes’ glorious maxim Cogito ergo sum (I think, therefore I am) and have proven my own existence rather than having over-reached far beyond my capacity attempting to prove that ‘existence’ exists.

I was always the girl who did what she was told. I never really spoke up against anyone, I listened when I could and I certainly manoeuvred my entire life to suit those around me and not cause inconvenience. I figured that none of it really mattered, since I had my mind – this near infinite blank space to fill and ferment as I saw fit. Then I learned about Allah, who said that ‘obedience’ extended to all of me. That my mind too needed to conform; that ‘thinking’ was all well and good as long as it was the kind of thinking that He approved of. I was thirteen when we first threw down the gauntlet and I demanded to keep myself. So, naturally I did what any Muslim girl questioning the basis for her existence would do. I tried to be the best Muslim I could be.

Theistic logic dictated that if I was Muslim enough, my doubts would fade away and I would be rewarded with blissful ignorance and blind faith once more. I enrolled in Al-Huda, with a friend of my aunt who (in her genuine good will and faith) worked to bring me deeper into the fold. I read the Quran daily; I memorised surah’s; I prayed five times a day; fasted the entire month of Ramazan and attended taravis at Faisal Mosque in the evenings; I even did the tahajjud (for two months) but it did not detract from the questions or the doubts that had led to my taking up being a zealot with such zeal. I suppose the fact that I was vociferously imbibing Dostoevsky and Rand at the time did not help matters much. As my final test and coming of Islamic Age gift to myself, I wore the hijab for approximately a year and a half. The latter was a public proclamation of my commitment to seeking God’s clemency. I don’t really know exactly what point it was when I discovered I had been pretending far too hard but I feel it was when my aunt’s friend gifted me with a volume of the Sahih al-Bukhari bearing the note ‘To Baby Maulana, here’s to ensure you spread the ‘light’’. The realisation that I was apparently required to ‘spread’ all this nonsense that I myself was affecting for an audience was the deal breaker.

Since then, I have had many conversations with friends, acquaintances and complete strangers about this infernal edict of the Nicene creed (to believe in one God) and it is hard to separate the basis of our disagreement. It isn’t just that we disagree on God per se…the real offence seems to knowingly disagree on god.
“Have you read the Quran?” they ask.
“Yes, several times, with translation, tafseer and commentary,” I clarify.
“How then, can you not believe?” they wonder.
“How, then can you believe?” I respond.
“Meaning?” they ask edgily.
“Have you met Allah, he has 99 names: some of the names are lovely others are brutal, petty and mean. This would intimate that he is both Lovely and Brutal. He forgives all but wipes out entire nations because they happen not to be favoured ones…etc,etc”
“That is not true, you haven’t read the real Quran” they ALWAYS say.

I have searched determinedly for this ‘real’ Quran the believers invariably allude to but cannot locate it. I find, that it is usually the same text- only it is read through the misty haze of a devotee who can skim blindly, deafly and determinedly over any passage that might force a pause in faith or trouble in conscience. Faith will always be justified by the faithful and will always be attacked by its sceptics. I fear this is the nature of thought being pit against belief. The former requires information and the latter intonation. The sceptic is often labelled a ‘reactionary’ or a ‘subversive’ for merely presuming to disagree with the believer. The only real difference between a believer and I is that we both read (heard of, were told about etc) the same books, they agreed with them and I didn’t. The trouble arises in the fact that the ghost writers and publishers of said books don’t take to critics well…or at all.

Something that truly disturbs me is the fact that I am born into a country that by its very definition I cannot love. Sure I can feel the frequent pangs of nostalgia and patriotism while watching a cricket match or listening to sufi music like all the rest of my generation but I, the kafir, could never really love this country. Pakistan, literally the ‘Land of the Pure’, was not made for me and it has no place for me. It was constructed as a box marked ‘Islam’ to contain only one brand of person. Sure some smaller, inconsequential, low-end brands have managed to trickle into the market and thereby we have our token Christians, Ahmedis, Parsee’s, Sikh’s and Hindus but there is no room, whatsoever, for the brand-less. For the creed that thrives on carving identities from the outside-in rather than the other way around. I will always resent this country for forcing me to state a falsehood on my passport, for having to confirm the lie in person and speech at every desk I ever sit behind or in front of on punishment of death.

God is a figment of the imagination. It is not enough to say that He is ‘man made’ because He is ‘me made’. Every one of us has a point where we will say ‘well my god doesn’t do that’. That crevice where someone brings up a theological trip-up that even a believer cannot go along with and which forces them to play on their back foot and bring up their god. That is where we all stand, with individual ab aeterno (from the eternal) constructions of a divine we cannot and will not every truly understand but one that some of us still care to want to ‘get to know better’. That thing; that anima that frames the breath around us; inspires in us creation and navigates the planets is never really to be boxed in, no matter how hard we try. The fellow the books call ‘god’ is a bastardised shadow of what mortals can comprehend of the incomprehensible, without having the courage to admit their incapacity. That thing prevails and will always remain outside our grasp. I am grateful really, that mankind will never be able to taint the truly numinous nature of whatever it is that spurs all creation, for we would ruin it as we have ruined pretty much every thing else.

In Pakistan, I was offered my first flighty taste of absurd freedom when I made my Facebook account and was able to state my true metaphysical leanings on a public forum. Some have mocked my usage of ‘Ignostic/ Pyrrhonist / Fanatical Epicurianist/Secular Fundamentalist’ under the tab of religious affiliation. I have been accused of trivialising the issue, whereas it is the exact opposite. I have tried to pick the ‘brands’ closest to the ones I might occasionally wear. There are just so many to choose from: atheist, agnostic, pyrrhoist, ignostic, nihilist, fallibilist, determinist, theist, solipsist, sceptic, humanist, relativist, gnostic, laicist etc.

When the truth is, in this most particular and pertinent life-style choice, I hope to stitch my own apparel and define my own wardrobe. I can only pray (sic) that more people would look outside the belief brand, box, label and tag.

10 comments:

  1. Nusrat Bokhari1:35 pm

    I have the same gripe with non-believers. I'm constantly being asked not just to explain but "prove" my belief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That may well be true, but then again, believers still command the overwhelming majority in Pakistan, so you are liable to find more support for your position.
    I, on the other hand, can be sentenced to death for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First you lump "believers" together rather simplistically. We are bot such a big happy cohesive community as all that.

    Since I interact more on the www than in the real world especially about issues like that, I am not better off than you. I have never asked a non-believer to explain/justify/prove their non-belief, while I myself have not been equally lucky.
    And two or three of my rather good friends happen to be non-believers. Even they, or at least two of the three cannot resist the temptation on some days, completely unprovoked.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont disagree with you there, the non-believing commnity does have more presence on the web. However, the mode of operations is completely different, one can choose to engage in conversations about religion or refrain online. And the debate that ensues is purely semantic/ subjective, on the other hand non-believers face tangible threats to their life and personhood for holding their views. One cannot really compare the two. If the most you feel is verbal affront from non-believers or a challenge to your views that is by no means comparable to someone fearing for their life if they truly reveal their inclinations. I cannot apply for a theology degree in this country as a non believer, I have to censor everything I comment on because they might offend believers. You on the other hand, for whatever comments you make as a believer, may recieve censure from the secular side but never fear.

    I was writing more specifically about day to day conversations. I am by no means trying to lump 'believers' together, i recognise that there are different levels and types of believers, not to mention different religions altogether...i meant to state believers as individuals who subscribe to some notion of an anthropomorphic God as opposed to those that dont.
    Also, i do not claim that this is an academic, analytical viewpoint I am presenting here. This is a blog and thereby I am narrating things purely as I have experienced or felt them. The generalisations are all internalised as in any personal narrative.

    Regarding your mention of non-believeing friends not resisting the temptation to provoke, I do see that happening. As it has with my believer friends. It is not desirable and I dont support it, however, if anything it still remains a debate. You can clarify your position and then close the subject. It is best, in such situations, to either agree not to bring up religion at all or deal with the cosequences of genuine debate and argument. Non believers, when given the opportunity will no doubt challenge your views and pack no punches about it, but you have the right to do exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:06 pm

    i was hoping you could share your thoughts on the latest FB fiasco and the freedom of speech. where to draw lines, if any?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Tis curious that you mention Dostoevsky as an influence in your formative years. Not saying that his books aren't interesting but I've always found him to be a dreadful preacher of orthodoxy (redemption through suffering in C&M, for instance).

    By the religious equivalence analogy, shouldn't he have pushed you towards being a better believer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never really read Dostoevsky in such reductionist terms, i mean there are several things i don't agree with, i am by no means a nihilist and many of his writings could possibly lead one to those ends. As for his redemption/suffering thing...sadly i do tend to personally adhere to that principle. I don't advocate it as a 'remedy' to the bad in one's life but in terms of pure empathy...i do think suffering leads to compassion or in the least insight. And believe me i know that is ridiculously old fashioned.

    It couldn't possibly lead me to belief in religion. I believe in many things but my disagreement with religion stems from the limitations it places on thought, tangible barriers to questioning and inquiry. more than anything that is what puts me off it completely. Like Ippolit's works, Dostoevsky's characters are more of walking anagrams and ideas than people, it makes for an interesting exegesis into the way people think or can think. His influence on me was more 'encouraging a 'permanent skepticism' towards everything rather than agreeing with him on anything in particular. Perhaps it's just me but there are some author's who can alter you as a person. For me those included Cervantes, Dostoevsky, (perversely on the other extreme) Dylan and Leonard Cohen and more recently Borges. I guess that is why most people say one should wait till their of 'legal age' before they even touch Marx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why redemption through suffering though, I believe indifference serves the same purpose much less painfully.

    And I disagree about Dostoevsky leading any person to nihilism; his nihilists are mostly pretentious snobs or wimps (character in case: Verkhovensky Jr. and Stavrogin from the devils) Throughout the sheer volume of conflicting ideas and oppressive atmosphere that Dostoevsky paints, there is very little in the favor of nihilism in there. Ivan Turgenev's Bazarov is a much better portrait of a nihilist.

    Nihilist rant over; I agree about Marx and how some authors can change the way you look at life. Although I haven't read any of the authors you mention other than Dostoevsky, I'd like to read Don Quixote one day. Childish as it might sound, I believe Jostein Gaarder is the author to have influenced my life the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:25 am

    Well written Malang! Impressive!


    The Salafi Pukhtoon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:08 pm

    if evolution wanted man to think, it wont endow him gonads. The purpose of evolution of huge cerebral cortex was only that, to facilitate the better use of gonads by finding genetically fit holes and orifices.

    Regarding believers who just say "have you read the real quran" after your seemingly thoughtful questions, it seems you have not been talking to smart and intelligent believers. Seems the playing field was not at same level. Find some intelligent people to converse with and then we can see if you can validate your points with evidence or not.

    ReplyDelete